Baking not only relaxes me but I also find it a good opportunity to get creative with my friends.
Being at my parents’ house during my summer break a friend of mine presented me with a challenge. She claimed everything she baked came flat. I couldn’t accept it so I encouraged her to bake one of the simplest treats. Cupcakes. I love Hummingbird Cupcake recipes and as her little one loves chocolate we chose the Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcake.
She baked them herself with just a tiny encouragement from me. They were a success 🙂
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40gr butter, at room temp
- 120ml milk
- 1 egg
- 120gr nutella
- chopped hazelnuts to decorate
For the icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g butter, at room temp
- 25 ml milk
- 80g nutella
1. Preheat the oven to 170c
2. Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl and mix together. You can use an electric hand whisk for this. It should be a slightly sandy/grainy texture
3. Pour the milk into the mixture and mix. Then add the egg and beat until it’s all incorporated.
4. Spoon the mixture into cupcakes cases in a muffin tin, filling to about halfway or 2/3 full. They rise quite a bit. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Leave to cool completely, then cut out a little circle in the cupcake. Pop the loose piece of cake out, insert a dollop of nutella, then put the cake piece back ontop so you have a filled cupcake.
For the icing
Mix all the above ingredients together until incorporated and continue mixing for about 5 minutes. The more mixing, the fluffier the icing! Use a palette knife to ice the cupcakes, then sprinkle with a bit of chopped hazelnut.